The Music Department provides music lessons to faculty, staff, students, and administrators.
How to Sign Up
Lesson enrollment for summer 2022 is now CLOSED.
Lesson enrollment for Fall 2022 is now OPEN Fall 2022 Lesson Form
Time: A regular, weekly lesson time will be scheduled in accordance with available slots for both the instructor and student. Instructors will email students their lesson times before their first lesson will take place. Due to needing to sanitize rooms and allow for space and air circulation lesson locations may vary during the first few weeks while we work to meet everyone's scheduling needs and keep everyone safe.
Lesson Fee Policy
Music performance majors qualify for a 100% discount on weekly one-hour applied music lessons on their primary instrument. Theory and History majors qualify for a 50% discount on instrumental or vocal lessons. If they elect to study a second instrument, those lessons are full price. Applied music lessons are available for all students, including non-majors, for a fee. The fee is charged to the student’s accounts, and no refunds are made after the first lesson.
Notre Dame International
105 Main Building
University of Notre Dame
For Music Majors Only: Guidelines for requesting approval of music lessons from abroad
1. Identify local procedures for acceptance into lessons. The faculty will recommend instructors whom you may contact for lessons abroad; however, you may also do your own research to find an instructor. It is ultimately your responsibility to set up the lesson arrangement. Your acceptance may be contingent upon an audition. Contact your chosen instructor for more information on the protocol for acceptance.
2. When you have chosen an instructor, compile the following in a well-organized document. Do not submit your request until you have all the information requested below. This will expedite your request and improve your chances of a positive response for course approval and funding.
- Name of instructor and short biography (instructor's institutional affiliation, instrument, recent recitals, performances, recordings)
- Contact hours for proposed lessons (typically one hour/week for 14 weeks; please explain if more or less time is requested)
- Price for lessons
- Repertoire and learning goals
- Course number requested at Notre Dame
- Grade: your instructor must give you a letter of assessment in a sealed envelope. It is your responsibility to send this envelope to the on-campus OIS staff member at Notre Dame who is in charge of the program where you are studying. OIS will ensure that grades are recorded.
3. When you have compiled all this information, send your request via email to:
- The Director of Undergraduate Studies in the Department of Music at ND
- Your resident on-site director (if applicable)
- The OIS program director or coordinator for your program at ND
- The assistant/associate dean of your college
Important Information on Funding for Lesson Fees Abroad:
The Department of Music will make every attempt to assist music majors with the cost of music lessons. As soon as possible prior to departure for study abroad, the student must see the DUS or Chair of Music regarding financial arrangements. In situations where the fee for lessons abroad exceeds the amount for those taken on the Notre Dame campus, the Department will make every effort also to cover the differential, at least in part. Once the student is abroad, he/she should re-contact the Department to confirm the financial arrangements. All departmental funding will be paid as a lump-sum reimbursement, on the basis of receipts for lesson fees paid by the student and presented to the Department when the student returns to the Notre Dame campus.
For Music Department Faculty & Contact People:
Guidelines for processing students’ requests for Course Transfer Approval from abroad
1. Please generate your reply to the student in 5 working days.
2. Please send your response to the student, and cc:
- The appropriate OIS program director or coordinator on-campus
- The assistant/associate deans
- The on-site program director (if applicable)
3. Make sure to include the following in your response:
- Course number