Admissions and Scholarships
Guidelines for Submitting Recordings for Purposes of Admission
Applicants to Notre Dame, particularly those intending to major in music, may send the Admissions Office supplementary recorded material (specific instructions to follow) to be reviewed by faculty in the Department of Music. If musical performance forms a substantial part of your extracurricular activities and demonstrates a significant level of accomplishment reflecting the serious study of music over an extended number of years, we encourage you to make a submission. Prospective students must use the SlideRoom application available through the Common Application in order to send a recording. The University will only accept supplementary material using this method, and will not accept physical recordings (no CDs or DVDs).
Please note that an applicant must submit the Common Application before uploading media through the SlideRoom application. The Admissions Office will then direct the material to the Department of Music for review.
1. Choose works with which you feel comfortable, and which best demonstrate your level of skill on your instrument or voice.
2. Selections may include classical repertory as well as popular music and jazz.
3. Though we have no specific repertory requirements, we strongly recommend that you select several contrasting works representative of a variety of styles, periods, and tempos. You may select either short works or movements of longer works. It is not necessary to perform entire multi-movement works. Vocalists are encouraged to sing in English and at least one other language. Spoken introductions are not necessary; your name and title of each work will appear in the audio/video samples.
4. Ten to twenty minutes of music would be optimal.
5. Solo performances are strongly preferred, as opposed to participation in a choir, ensemble, or musical theatre production. If you are submitting a recording of your performance in an ensemble, please be sure to identify which instrument you are playing and ensure that your performance is clearly audible.
6. The quality of a recording is often a factor in evaluating a performance. Please use high-quality recording devices—video or audio.
7. The audition recording should be attached via SlideRoom to your electronic application to the Admissions Office as part of the Common Application (see instructions above).
Merit Scholarship Consideration
Only students who intend to major in music may apply for a merit scholarship.
Please send a cover letter requesting scholarship consideration and a resumé of musical activities to:
Music Scholarship Committee
105 Crowley Hall
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556
Your recording uploaded through SlideRoom as a supplement to the Common Application (see instructions above) will also serve as part of your scholarship application.
Scholarship materials must be received no later than January 1, 2018.